Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Frugal Firsts! What is a budget and how do you do it?

Hello everyone! Welcome back to Butterfly Dark! I'm so glad you stopped in.

   Welcome to my Frugal Firsts post for the month of April. Last month we covered how I go about shopping at Goodwill. This week, you're going to see how I budget. I believe that every person before graduating high school should know a few basic things, such as how to fill out a job application, what FICA is, and how to fold a fitted sheet. One of the most important things they need to know is how to manage money, and create a budget. Now let me make this clear. I AM NOT telling you how you should be spending your money. Everyone has their own system and they do what works for them....mostly. Some people have absolutely no idea how to budget, or even what a budget is. This is just how I go about things.

   I've lived my entire life on a budget. When I was little I remember my mother always scribbling numbers on the back of an envelope or scrap pieces of paper. I also remember her jotting down the balance in her checkbook. Later, when my mom taught my Life Skills class, she taught me how to properly budget.
Messy Draft

   First thing is I have a little calendar. A pocket size one. I keep important dates, especially what day the bills are due. I also use it to keep track of how many hours I work and when my paycheck is due, I get paid every two weeks and work two jobs. This calendar helps me determine what bill I can pay with what check.


My calendar

   My bills are pretty simple. I pay rent, utilities, insurance. I have a car, a cell phone, one credit card, and student loans. Also keep in mind I have a two year old daughter, who is growing like a weed and I can never ever ever find her socks.

    So the first thing I do the night I get paid is go get rent money. My landlord (my parents) take cash. I give them the money for half of my rent at a time and my share of utilities and food. That right there is a large chunk of my budget.

   Then I tackle the smaller bills due between now and the next check. This week I paid my car insurance, cell phone bill and credit card bill. In two weeks I'll make my car payment and student loan payment.

   That's it for all my bills that are a fixed rate. The last one changes constantly, we ALL know this one. Gasoline. The best thing you can do is estimate how much you spend in gas. I always estimate on the high side. I spend about $80 in gas a month.

   Now with working two jobs, and after I pay all my bills I have, theres usually a bit left over. I normally have about $80 left after everything is said and done. I make sure my flower has everything she needs, wipes, soap, tooth paste and clothes. I get some craft supplies and maybe some lunch stuff.
I might have $40.
My more refined draft

  Now what would you do with an extra $40 every two weeks? I haven't opened a savings account yet, although it would be a good idea. I have a mason jar in my desk. All my loose change goes in the jar and so does that $40, and so does my debit card when I'm at work. That's how I keep from overspending.

   So my tips for actually saving money? First is my cell phone. I don't have a contract phone. I go through Straight Talk. I've tried out several different companies and they're the company that I have least trouble with, and I can bring my own phone if I want. I don't have the latest phone, in all honesty I don't really need it. I just need something that lets me call, text, take pictures and maybe browse social media.

   Never shop without a list. I watch my mother do it all the time. She plans out a menu for the week, compares it online to what is on sale at her two favorite stores and makes a list of what she needs. She also uses coupons if possible. We NEVER go to the fabric or craft store without coupons.

   Clothing if you can sew, learn how to mend things or even repurpose them. I converted a few of my flower's onsies into t shirts when she became too tall for them. Exchanging little one's clothes that they have outgrown but still in good condition for store credit is a good idea. Once Upon A Child is a favorite store of mine.

   On occasion I sell stock photos, or a sell a commissioned art piece.

   That's pretty much it. I try to keep it simple. I try to live below my means, and spend as little as possible. This doesn't mean be cheap, it means don't buy what you don't need. Some things are completely worth spending the money on. Quality over quantity. If you buy something that is well made, but a little more expensive it will probably last you longer. Especially when it comes to clothing.

   I'm so happy to say that as of last month I have one less bill to pay. I paid off my car. This is a HUGE accomplishment for me. My car is still in good condition. I've kept up on the maintenance. As long as I keep up on that it should last me a lot longer until I'm ready for something new. With some family developments, I may need a minivan. But that's a story for another time.

   So how do you handle money? How do you budget?

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Good job, Britanni. I used to do this when I got my first job as a senior in high school. Especially the calculations on notebook paper since we didn't have PCs way back then. My advise to you is an old rule that I was taught as a youngster - Pay Yourself First. This old rule said that you should take out 10% of your paycheck first and put it in a savings account where it can start earning interest. After you have done that, then budget with the rest. This 10% should be saved and used only for dire emergencies or for using as a down payment toward buying a house. My favorite way to pay myself first is to use any employer provided direct deposits to my savings account that way you never see the money and you kind of forget about it. The money will pile up over time and you'll be able to move it to accounts that pay more interest. When you have been able to save $25K then you can go to an investment type place to help it grow even more and someday you won't have to be so worried about every little penny. Importantly, you would be able to help your daughter when she is your age. SO save some of that $40 extra is my advise.

    ReplyDelete